An internship or summer jobs can be the easiest way to jumps start a career after you graduate. The contacts, references, and experience that you gain, can last a lifetime. Employers are always looking for hardworking talent at every level. However, employees / interns are often engaged in a campaign of self-sabotage. That is why the staff here at Northeast Ohio Growth put together a list of dos and don’ts for employees and interns. The dos are easy, 1). be enthusiastic, 2). have a strong work ethic, 3). take initiative, 4). pay attention, and 5). be reliable. The list of don’ts is much longer.
Things not to do as an employee / intern:
- Don’t look, play, fiddle, text, chat or do anything with your phone. You should put your phone away when you get to work and not take it out unless you are on a break or lunch.
- Don’t be late. It is offensive when you are late with a fresh Starbucks.
- When your boss ask you to redo something because it is wrong, don’t act annoyed.
- Don’t steal, talk about stealing or about any criminal activity.
- Never use a emoticon in an e-mail. 🙁
- Don’t lose your office key.
- Don’t wear a hoodie at work. You are not Mark Zuckerberg.
- Don’t bite your nails or crack your knuckles in front of your coworkers.
- If your supervisor / boss is not eating at the meeting, you should not be having a three course meal in their office.
- Don’t walk into your supervisor’s office without a note pad.
Things your employer and coworkers do not want to hear about:
- Don’t talk about your issues with your family.
- Don’t talk your commute or how bad traffic was. Your failure to get up on time, is not your employer’s problem.
- Don’t talk about your issues with your significant other.
- Don’t talk about your medical history.
- Don’t talk about how you slept. Nobody cares.
- Don’t participate in workplace gossip.
- Don’t talk about how much time you spend on Twitter, Facebook, etc.
- Don’t talk about how messy your car / room/ house is.
- Don’t talk about your odd/quirky/weird habits
- Don’t talk about how much you hate a task, job, the customers, or the boss.
Leave us a comment below if you have something you think we should add to our list.